Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Funk Nation » Campus Life

Post subject: Church Bass Player
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:52 pm 

I know playing in church is not the ideal situation for funk! Living in Mississippi does not offer a lot of opportunity to play. I have been a bass player in a couple of bands, years ago.

Practicing at home and wearing out the family made me drag my bass to church. The church has a piano as the only other instrument!! The piano player has played alone and is used to her own timing (speeding up slowing down). I'm not able to listen to the first few notes she plays and get correct key, mode.

Some of the hymns we sing, I have heard all my life. The keys some of these hymns - songs are in I am not familiar with. I can read and that helps some but hymns are written for piano. The bass line is usually two or more notes, and I usually play the lower note. This sounds ok on some, but not on others.

My wife is the minister and wants me to play loud and melodic. I'm more of a riff playing holding down the bottom player, right now. There are a couples tunes that I can play a country/western type part to, but there are a lot that I can't play.

Anything anybody can help me with will be good. Don't worry about my feelings; already shattered by doing a shabby job n church.

Post subject: Re: Church Bass Player
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:48 pm 

record the sessions, ask all the questions you can regarding time and key, break them down and practice. i don't really think there is more that you can do in this case.

************Little Star***********
http://myfunk.ning.com/profile/Mr7

Post subject: Re: Church Bass Player
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:51 pm 

Thanks LS. I am recording now, and listening to it. I have surprised myself at how I sound when I "let the spirit lead me, rather than I do the leading". I logged into "F U" this morning and wound up on you tube. Anyway there was bass and piano (not a link person, but it was church in the Wildwood). This dude killed a 1-5, 5-2, 4-1 progression, some order like that. Learned it at one point and forgot. Watched finding keys and modes and even that "circle".

I did much better tonight. trying to keep every thing in three fret box. THNX and keep it coming guys.

Board index » Funk Nation » Campus Life