Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Funk Nation » Campus Life

Post subject: Dancing
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:07 am 

I just realised something and I am curious how you all think about that. (also the professors) In large parts of the world dancing is a central cultural occupation. Look at Afrika, South-Amerika, India, Spain, eastern Europe. And everybody that grows up there, learns the dances from the moment they can walk. And after that they learn how to play the music. I feel it gives them an advantige in learning music.

Here in the Netherlands we don't have a certain dance that everybody knows. We just move around somewhat. I always feel I have al lot of catching up to do according to rhythem

The reason I bring this up is, because I played in an African group for a while. With mucisians from Ghana, South-Africa, Congo, Senegal and Guinee. I always felt rythmicly handicapt, becaus I missed the roots. And now I think it was the dancing in theire childhood that makes the difference.
I also play Spanish music, and every Flamenco style has a dance to go with it.

How do you see this in Funk?

Post subject: Re: Dancing
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:30 am 

I've never been a dancer. When I picked up the bass [10 years] I had a problem finding the beginning of songs, [the Beat or rhythm] not knowing anything about the "ONE" Watching Verdine White made my head spin, I love his playing but,I couldn't follow his motions. Now when I practice a I try to find my own bounce. If I can't I resort to cpoying some motions I've seen on my DVD concerts of videos..and try to may my movements more comfortable. I still can't dance but I can move a little while I play if I don't get too happy.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:52 am 

Iris, i envy you for being able to play with those ppl. i can't imagine how much fun that should have been.
Dancing definetly helps alot with rhythm, and not only that, but it connects you with the music in another level. You not just hear the rhythm, but you give into it, your whole body breaths rhythm.

I was raised in a country with a lot of african heritage, our music is totally afro descendent, and even tho i can't dance...being a child around all that music, all that dancing, has helped me alot in my playing.

For most of these cultures, and i mean those that try to stay loyal to their roots, music is a way to connect with their deities, it's something spiritual, a doorway. Only in modern society we find that music is a commercial product and can sometimes be totally vane.

In funk...well...who can't help but dance when the funk is around?
U don't have to be a great dancer or have a particular dance, just move your body around with the music and feel what's going on in your body...most important, feel free.
When it's time to play, you'll be able to lock with the groove alot better.

Oh, and don't worry...u didn't miss the roots...u only miss them when u don't even care for them...if you're after them, it's never to late to connect.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:24 pm 

Slavss man... hit'n the nail on the head... "Oh, and don't worry...u didn't miss the roots...u only miss them when u don't even care for them...if you're after them, it's never to late to connect. " well said... indeed.

So... Dancing is important... If you can play and Move your body to the music that you and the band are playing... then the people who are watching will be more inclined to move as well... and if their moving around and enjoying themselves... their more likely to spend more at the bar... and if the bar/venue does well on selling drinks... your band is, more than likely, gonna be asked to come back... all because you moved around and felt it groove, instead of standing still...

Youtube is a great source for learning some 'moves'... But really, unless your in a formal situation or coreography is involved... then just so long as your moving WITH the beat and not AGAINST the beat... its all good... lol ...

I don't know how close attention anyone else has paid to Les Claypool and how he moves around on stage... he's like some sort of freaky side show dancing thing.... To move your leg up and down on beat like that while your playing, is not easy to do... It took searious work and feeling like a fool @ band practice to be able to do that at a show.... lol ..... Give it a go, don't fall over, stay sober if you plan to try this out as a stage manouver... : )

g0 2 V3g@$

http://www.youtube.com/zebragreen3

http://soundcloud.com/zebragreen3

http://www.facebook.com/zebragreen3

Post Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:20 am 

Yes,Salvss, I do feel lucky. 30 years ago you would have to travel to afrika and try to find mucisians that want to show you something. I only had to travel as far as Amsterdam. :-)
Theire dance and music is so tightly connected, that I have seen dancers fall down becouse the Jembe player made mistakes....

Post Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:10 am 

One thing I noticed in my early days:
When I was playing bass parts close to the originals, with the original feel... I noticed I was also moving the same way those players move (unless it is a show-y, choreographed move). The movements become a natural extension/companion to the music and vice versa.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:10 pm 

Iris wrote:
Yes,Salvss, I do feel lucky. 30 years ago you would have to travel to afrika and try to find mucisians that want to show you something. I only had to travel as far as Amsterdam. :-)
Theire dance and music is so tightly connected, that I have seen dancers fall down becouse the Jembe player made mistakes....

:lol:

if u still got doubts, check out jaco's moves on this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDQlSSOXU6A

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:08 pm 

Find a eurythmics class somewhere and take it. THAT will get your body in touch with the music!

Post Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:27 pm 

:P I like this,
well in Holland they have the Klompnedans, with those Wooden shoes ;-) just joking.

well : Free your mind and your ass will follow.

I think there is a difference between dancing, and getting into the groove and not caring about how it looks or others might say, its all in the one.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:14 am 

[quote="Gonzo"]:P I like this,
well in Holland they have the Klompnedans, with those Wooden shoes ;-) just joking.

LOL Klompendans! Yes, and it goes like this: Put on your clogs and dance away! Step to the right and wait.... step to the left and wait..... wait.... klap your hand.... please don't get in the groove!!! turn..... klap.... turn...... Step to the right.... etc. :-)

Thanks for your resonse Gonzo. :-)

Board index » Funk Nation » Campus Life