Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Funk Nation » In The University

Post subject: NEW PROFESSORS COMING TO FUNK U YEAR 3
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:09 pm 

Funk U,
Bootsy, Soup Can and the team need help with preparation for Year 3.

We want to know who you'd like to come in as new Professors. We're about to start reaching out, but we want your input. If history is correct, it was Funk U disciples that brought in Stanley Clarke this year. So the big question is...who should we line up with for year 3?

Looking forward to hearing from ya!
Cor

Post subject: Re: NEW PROFESSORS COMING TO FUNK U YEAR 3
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:30 pm 

1. Rodney "Skeet" Curtis, Billy Bass or any of the OG P-Funk bass players
2. More lessons from Bootsy!!
3. I think we have enough instructors already, just need more from them. More detail on what they are trying to show us. For instance, some of the lessons from our Bass instructors are done so fast (Larry would be a great example), god himself couldn't write out the right tabs for what they just did. so it's sort of like a show, more so than a lesson. so, I’d like to see it proceed with a bit more detail such as: " in this lesson we will be going over the "intro, end, body" of the song, this is done in this key, or and this mode, starting from here we will be plucking this note then go here and slap this one, and so on and so on and I’d suggest using this fingering because we're going to go here next and that would make it easier, note this or watch for this, and then play the song in its original format. To do this i don't believe the song would need to be chopped up any further than they are now when lessons are given. In some cases maybe they don't have this type of detail and that's fine as long as they do a slow walk through of what they are about to teach us first. sometimes, i can't see anything but a blur (BPM would be great as well).

************Little Star***********
http://myfunk.ning.com/profile/Mr7

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:08 pm 

Agreed with Littlestar!! It can only get better from here, but we do have very many great things with everything that is here already and will find more lessons within lessons if things were ripped open and exposed more in detail!!!

But in adding more professors, Id love to see one of my idols Jonas Hellborg! Maybe Louis Johnson. Maybe Mark King from level 42....

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:30 am 

Hey Cory, I have to agree with Littlestar on his suggestions! The guest professor list is already awesome and of course it would be amazing to have even more of them, especially if each round of prof. makes the professor community grow bigger and bigger until it's the only place where all groovy professional bass players are!!! I think it's important to keep ALL current and former professors in the funk u community: on the website, and the facebook group (so as to not think of them as former but part of the never ending groovement) even if they are not dispensing any actual lessons for a year. Some profs. like Hansford Rowe are incredibly active and accessible on FB, and even some from year 1, I think of Dave Burnett or Blackbird...

I think that more than just a casting with big names of the music and recording industry, it's even more beautiful when Funk U make these people available to the student body, and interact!
I've been supporting the idea that at least one competition should be rated by the profs only... I can't imagine how awesome it would be to have like 10 comments with any rating from bad to good on my submission, coming from renown professionals...

So the idea behind this is that it's cool that we have an active student community, and it's also cool that we have many renown guest professors!
But, I'm dreaming of a more active prof. community and more interactions between students and professors.

Some people I'd like to see anyway to answer the question:

-Ryan "Iron" Newman: from Sonoma CA, bass player from the reggae/jazz band Groundation. He's also into funk/soul with his band "Critical measures". While not impressive when you hear him play he is steady and I have never heard such solid grooves in reggae since Aston Barrett. He's pretty cool and accessible even on tour.

-Flea: well no need to introduce him... !

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:07 pm 

Bernie Worrell, please!!!!!!!

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:00 pm 

Bidibaby wrote:
Bernie Worrell, please!!!!!!!

Pretty pls.....

************Little Star***********
http://myfunk.ning.com/profile/Mr7

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:36 pm 

I'd love to see more from Meshell Ndegeocello - also, wasn't TM Stevens on the list? I'd love to see his stuff.

Board index » Funk Nation » In The University