Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Funk Nation » In The University

Post subject: Orchestration Project #2 with MarkMcAnaney!
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:34 am 

If you've done project 1, you've seen that handling one particular instrument is the easy part, and it's handling the surrounding orchestra that becomes the challenging and fun part!! You've also learned many methods of orchestration designed to handle many situations in your piece! This project is more bass focused.

PROJECT: This project will be focused around a solo!! Bass is to be the solo instrument!!!!! Bass is usually strictly a supporting instrument, but it does get its moments to shine too! BUT...with this, keep in mind that the orchestra behind a solo instrument of any sort should be light and enhancing!!! Now that you know methods to mesh with other groups in the best ways possible, use those methods to make the instrument (bass in this case) shine! Also, you know that a bass should keep that groove!!! Accomplish that as well! Keep the groove, use the orchestra for enhancement of the solo, and keep the accompaniment light so the solo can really shine!

1) Tips= remember the close relationship the strings have to the woodwinds! also, remember that brass is the best enhancer for loud parts especially!! Throw in some percussion if youd like!!

2) Use any instrumentation you want!!! Just be sure to include strings, brass, and woodwinds at least! Use percussion if youd like!! Even a piano!!

Nice little thing to put out there..... by doing this you will be writing a Concerto!! A concerto means the piece has a featured instrument...and thats what we are doing!!!! It can be as long as you want but most concertos are 2-3 movements!! Again those are as long as youd like!

Post subject: Re: Orchestration Project #2 with MarkMcAnaney!
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:59 pm 

Ive finished project 2!! Heres my entry... tell me what you think if you have any advice! Its always appreciated!!! You can find the link to my entry through my website... at the bottom of the page under "Orchestration Project 2" just under my entry for the first project!!! Submit yours when you are ready!!! Hope you are all having fun!

http://markmcananeysolobassist.webs.com ... ssguru.htm

Board index » Funk Nation » In The University