Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Funk Nation » In The University

Post subject: Orchestration Project #1 with MarkMcAnaney!!!!!!
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:11 am 

If anyone is interested..I have a nice idea!! Let's do an orchestration project! Don't worry, we wont have to write a 500 page symphony (yet! haha) this one is the first of 2... Im going to post a link for free notation software for us to use.. and well work off that!

PROJECT: The focus of this will be meshing bass with the other instrument groups. You may do well to read the orchestration article Ive posted here for starting info.. or just play it by ear and go in as you are now!!!! But anyway, the groups we will be mixing our strings with are brass and woodwinds. I want you to use this instrumentation: (strings) contrabass or electric bass, viola. (woodwind) bassoon, oboe, flute. (brass) horn, trumpet.

* 1) come up with a neat bassline, and this will be meshed throughout the piece with the other groups.

2) first, mesh it with woodwinds. tips/things to try= see that the oboe mixed with strings gives it a nasally texture, see that the bassoon does well to take over primary bass duties, or to double the bass while blending with strings!! see how poetic bass and flute mixes!!!

3) next, mix with brass! this is harder..as brass and strings have a tougher to mix texture. tips= see how the horns are the best gateway instrument for mixing strings and brass! they are your key to mixing well with any more difficult brass instrument to mesh with...such as a bass with a trumpet.

last tip... see that the low end of the orchestra is handled by bass and bassoon.. the middle range is held by viola, horn, and oboe... the high end by trumpet and flute.

Most of all, have fun!!!! remember that this is all about learning to mix groups in the best ways possible!! But since this is a bass school mostly..really play with the bass and its mixtures well!! And remember to keep a good supporting role with it!! I will be doing this project with you.. when you are done, post your file to this page!!!! and well move on to the second project!!!!!

Post subject: Re: Orchestration Project #1 with MarkMcAnaney!!!!!!
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:16 am 

The notation software for free download is here, but if you have another program..just use that!!!! if not though..this is free!! This is also the software Berklee College of Music uses!! So you may want to have this anyway just to play with.

http://finale-notepad-2008.software.informer.com/

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:23 am 

Heres my article...if youve never written an orchestrated piece before this is a good start and I hope it helps!!

http://notesfromabassguru.blogspot.com/ ... ov-11.html

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:43 pm 

too much for me right now my friend. i'm hoping to have time to go through the lessons steelhard has up this weekend. maybe next time.

************Little Star***********
http://myfunk.ning.com/profile/Mr7

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:32 pm 

whenever you can!!!!

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:35 pm 

My submission and analysis is posted on this page at the bottom under Orchestration Project #1!!! Check it out and lemme know what you think.. any questions I didnt answer in the analysis just ask!!!!

http://markmcananeysolobassist.webs.com ... ssguru.htm

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:57 pm 

To anyone doing this project... how are they coming? Im very excited to hear what you all come up with!! Im working on project 2 at the moment.

Board index » Funk Nation » In The University