Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Funk Nation » In The University

Post subject: Complete nOOb
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:23 pm 

'Sup, guys. I just signed up for Funk U last night. I'm very much looking forward to learning from the likes of Bootsy Collins and Larry Graham, but I gotta say I'm a bit overwhelmed by the amount of content here. Where exactly would you suggest I start?

Post subject: Re: Complete nOOb
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:54 pm 

'Sup. Welcome to the Funk U forums, pleased to meet ya.

Go into the "Student Area", from there go to the "Syllabus" and scroll aaaaallllll the way to the bottom and start there. The first videos will be all about the one. That's a good place to start. Then work your way up the list. Each month usually has a theme and you can consider the syllabus a master list for the site. A few other areas like the "Auditorium" that have some additional content - mostly student submitted. But most of the other areas duplicate the syllabus content, collecting it into themes or by professor.

It has taken the rest of us a year and a half to get through that list so don't push yourself too hard. Make sure that you stop each day when you are 'full up' as so to speak, absorb it and come back the next day. Aside from the syllabus you can cherry pick from other areas of the university. In all cases the most recent videos are at the top and the older ones at the bottom. You have a huge task ahead of you! I assure you that your money is well spent.

Other than that welcome to the forums. The video content is going to blow you away but don't forget to visit (and participate) here from time to time. The forums are an excellent resource that have been uniquely shaped by SoupCanDan and the members. Don't be intimidated, you haven't come across a forum like this before. There's been a couple of robust debates but nothing ever got nasty. There's no trolls and no elitism. The more experienced members don't get haughty with beginners - no matter how many times the question has been asked. Funk is respectful and inclusive.

Welcome again and hope to hear more of your voice around these parts

Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:35 pm 

Thanks for the information and greeting! :D

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:36 am 

Ditto to everything SteelHard said... this is really a family. Start with the lessons on the ONE and make sure to let the information sink in. Some of us are considered advanced players, and the lessons might seem simple playing-wise... but really take the time and THINK about each lesson and what it means, or might mean. The best thing is to come at this with an open mind and no ego.

...then make your ego work FOR you. (I don't mean ego in the typical negative connotation - think self-worth/confidence). You'll see a lot of us say "Go To Vegas" ... that's from one of Bootsy's lectures... it means that "Bring It!" attitude.

Don't give in to watching every video in a night, as much as you'll want to... there is a reason they are broken up. Let it sink in...

Most importantly, have fun and learn...

Feel free to ask ANY questions here.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:45 am 

i could only repeat what my other funk brothers have said. welcome Furioso!

************Little Star***********
http://myfunk.ning.com/profile/Mr7

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:51 am 

Hey whats goin on man! Wise choice you made by joining Funk U! Its been a great ride for me and all of us here...and I hope it will be for you too!! Yes ditto to all everyone said..start with the lessons on the one..then move onto groove.etc etc just enjoy it all! And keep in mind that thee is so much more going on than just playing examples and drills..though the ones here are quite nice! The real lessons take a day or two of intense thinking to see.and those are the truly priceless lessons! Funk U will help you find yourself in the end..and then.. as its doing for me right now..will help you chisel yourself into the musician youve always wanted to be! Youre in a place filled with millions of potential ways to grow..as a player..as a musician..as a thinker..and in life! This really is a place to learn how to FEEL! Welcome!!!

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:59 pm 

I appreciate all the input, guys! Thank you all for the warm welcome. I just watched the first vid on The One, and I'm very excited! Mark, I see what you mean. There is definitely more going on here than striking strings. I'm very much looking forward to seeing how I'll grow...Thanks again, guys!!

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:24 pm 

Not one of the videos are filler. Each is a bite sized nugget that you could savour all day.

Board index » Funk Nation » In The University