Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Funk Nation » In The University

Post subject: The Thrill is Gone
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:19 am 

hey now funky peeps - Gurley here. I was gone for awhile but now I am back so hellooooooo.

Anyway, I have some questions and thoughts about this tune. In the video it is used to exemplify a sort of "easy" bass line, and then Prof. Burnett uses it to launch into a theory of bass as guitar which is also true and something to think about. Although, I could swear the original sounds like it's played on an upright...

But I can't just let it go there because it keeps following me around. So here are my questions - in the original studio recording there are some unfortunate choices re: strings but also some amazing low string lines and I am curious about the recording/arranging process for this tune, such as who produced and who arranged the strings and where? I noticed in the Tracy Chapman/BB duet version there is just a single cello doing some of it but then the guitar takes the countermelody part at the end, which I love better... Then there is the Grisman/Garcia version which takes it into a sort of latin?! groove, (what, the thrill has gone sailing?) and then there is this BB/Pat Metheny thing, live from France? Woah.

Any information or other amazing versions would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: The Thrill is Gone
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:58 am 

i can't comment on your questions but i remember you. you were here day one i believe yes! anyway welcome back. are you here for a while this time?

************Little Star***********
http://myfunk.ning.com/profile/Mr7

Post subject: Re: The Thrill is Gone
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:39 pm 

Thank you for posting this... this is a new song to me, I haven't heard it yet. I'm watching it on YouTube now. I thought I was a funk know-it-all, but apparently, not so much! This is a very nice song.

Board index » Funk Nation » In The University