Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Funk Nation » In The University

Post subject: Where are all the licks on this site?
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:18 pm 

Hey, I just joined and have to say Im a little disappointed.
There dosent seem to be a lot of lessons on technique especially slap/funk yet this is called "Funk University". Im confused. Theres more stuff on James Jamerson than there is on funk. Most of whats here is a mix bag of motivational lectures and home recording tips and tricks lasting no longer than a minute.
I joined so I would further my development as a funk player with emphasis on slap. I figured...Bootsy Collins...must be a lot on this guy's technique and others but not the case. There's some slap licks on 'Profile Player' but only a hand full. Where is everything? Ive gone through Lecture Hall, Syllabus, Library, Classrooms...cant find any funk licks. :(

Post subject: Re: Where are all the licks on this site?
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:57 am 

Hi Kinh and welcome to Funk U. We've got close to 1000 lectures - I would recommend going to the Syllabus and scrolling back in time to examine the wealth of professors and their clips.
If slapping is what you are into, check out PNUT, Victor Wooten, Norwood Fisher, and Bootsy himself in the Lecture Hall. There are fabulous discussions on technique and tone of slapping, as well as detailed tabs showing you how to play them.
We seem recently to have had many questions about examining a bass line of a song from top to bottom, for you to analyze and learn. If that's what you are looking for specifically, you'll be happy to know more of those are on the way.
Otherwise, feel free to contact me ( MARSsteve@aol.com) with any specific questions. Bootsy and all of us want you to love the site and will do what we can to make your experience more than you hoped it would be.
Headmaster Steve

Post Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:45 pm 

kinh,
Headmaster Steve is our new FU headmaster who has been making a list of all our complaints (which yours is one of) and is working to add more content in our favor. so far he has kept his word in all cases and has started working on ways to accomplish this. I’ve been here since day one and i feel this man can make a real difference here. Stick around for at least a month (or even better to participate in one of the competitions we have at the school) to see if things are heading in the right direction for you. There is a lot of Slap content here as headmaster Steve has pointed out. If you haven't looked already, check out Thee RAM JAM in the “profiled player” area. Scroll all the way down to the bottom so you can start with the first slap lesson he gave. He was murdered recently so there will be no other content from him. Google and search Youtoube for more. He’s a very well-known slap artist out here in Los Angeles. You won't find better slap content anywhere online!!

************Little Star***********
http://myfunk.ning.com/profile/Mr7

Post Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:13 pm 

First of all, welcome!

I agree with Littlestar and I'd add that P-Nut has some great slap videos, as does Norwood. I, too, have been here since (before) day 1... and over time, I've really learned to appreciate the lectures the professors provide. This makes it much more like a Master Class than a typical music lesson. Typically, there is at least one video posted daily. The videos are broken down in such a way that you can take 15 minutes to practice/meditate on the lesson or ideas. I think this is quite valuable and something which might not be readily apparent.

That being said, feedback is always welcome from my experience. I think there are ways to enhance and reorganize the lessons.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:30 pm 

What do you mean you just joined? I've been trying to join for 4 months and enrollment has been closed!

Board index » Funk Nation » In The University