Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Funk Nation » In The University

Post subject: Longer Videos?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:17 am 

Hi guys! Glad to be learning at Funk U.

I love the content in the videos. Are there plans for making longer videos in the future? Or maybe playlists to view all the parts of the videos that are spaced out over weeks?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Longer Videos?
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:21 am 

Also I was wondering how many students actually are enrolled and watching these courses. The forum seems very dead to me.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:33 am 

The forums are pretty dead... but we only have ourselves to blame. I

I think the concept for keeping the videos short are that, 1) we get a video daily (usually) and 2) that the videos are concise for the core concept we should be thinking about.

If the videos are longer, a lot of the information can be lost whilst one is trying to process. I initially wanted much longer videos, but with the short ones, it almost takes more work on my part to 'really' get what is happening.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:15 pm 

I agree we only have ourselves to blame as far as forum activity is concerned. It used to be a little more active but most users including I have limited time to study, and even more limited time to be active on forum topics. Although I don't often reply, I read forum posts most of the time.
On the video concept, I also wanted longer videos at first but I've got my habits now and I don't mind short videos, as Bassdbler said a one minute video can sometimes turn into hours of practice...

Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:13 pm 

and shorter vid's make the server more responsive to requests = better bandwidth for the general public!!

as far as the Forum is concerned, we just need to create some interesting topics again such as (Ones i think are greatly needed) "Bass Effects" and how you set them for certain sounds, where they should be in the chain, what a good chain looks like, how to set the tone on your bass before you connect effects etc. (with examples posted on YouTube etc.). Bass Amps: (same thing), Strings: (Same thing), Bass types: (4/5/6 string and more, Jazz vs. P bass etc.) These types of things i believe would generate a lot of traffic.

************Little Star***********
http://myfunk.ning.com/profile/Mr7

Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:44 pm 

Good point LittleStar... I'm on the road till March, but I'd certainly talk about effects all day. My day job used to be building basses... setup/maintenance issues... amps...

All those things are questions I'd happily answer and discuss

Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:32 pm 

The walls have ears - we are listening.
As you may have noticed, we hit a minor lull that is slowly being corrected. I think a more active Forum is a healthy Forum as well and will look upon it as my project to get better and quicker involvement.
Thanks for all your viewpoints, they will be addressed. Shame we're not all in the same city, I still look back on our hang at Bass Player Live 2012 as being ultra-creative, and hope we can do that again soon.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:15 am 

Some great suggestions so far! I can contribute as well. I've been playing bass and other instruments, recording, and writing for 16 years, and would love to share some information with the school.

What we need now is a flexible plan of action led by Professors of Funk U OR other Funk U authorities, like forum mods, or long-term students.

Ideas come all the time, but acting upon a plan of action is rare! Let's do it!

Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:21 pm 

There have been some discussions about how to engage and bolster the current students, how to help newer student, etc. It's not mine to divulge... and I don't know what the plans really are, but I will sat that Cory and Headmaster Steve are amazingly receptive to input.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:54 pm 

Dig it ya'll.... .... much love for plans of action.... the One and the Funk do Unite the Funky Ones who like to absorb and listen, pay attention.... ya'll feeling it, the P-Funk-Osophy that is...? :mrgreen:

I know I've been rather quite on the forum this past while, but... well.... I've sorta had a lot shifting in my life as of late.... what with growing up, apparently starting a small Audio Visual Production company, having to move several times, my van breaking down, dealing with lots of people, places and things across a vast many contexts and preparing to move again in the next month or so.... .. ..... .... Not to mention all that noise here on the forums the past few months from all those robo-trolls..... .... lol :mrgreen: ... ... .... so now, us real life forum users can come back out from under the shelter of the rocks, like anemones in a coral reef, when the lurking danger has passed... lol :ugeek: :mrgreen:

Now, onto the topic of this forum thread.... .... lol ... .... the short videos.... .... I agree completely with Bassdblr, Garadur and Littlestar... ... .... ..... at first, i wasn't so sure about the One to 4ish minute videos.... but as time has gone by.... I really enjoy them.... .... as there is generally a deceptively large amount of information getting squeezed into a tiny lil package... ... .... .... ... .... ain't that funky.... ? lol :mrgreen:

and as a student from day One, i've maintained watching all of the lessons as they are posted..... but looking back.... that is A LOT of Fu*king videos.... .... lol...

.... I don't know how many there are in total.... .... but even at an average length of 2 1/2 minutes... ... there is probably close to a solid.... Hhhmmm.... If all you did was watch Funk U. lessons for 24 hours a day.... how many days would it take to watch all of them....??? ..... lol ... ... (kinda like that owl and the tootsie pop... lol)

which brings me to a thought.... .... it would be cool if the BCFU had a 'Playlist' funktion for new students to be able to only have to click play Once, instead of going through, video by video.... .... ... ... I think it would make playing 'catch up' much easier.... ... .... just a thought.... .... ....

anywho.... i think that about wraps er' up for me at the moment.... .... ... so.... funk on my funky friends.... and may the force be with you.... :geek: :ugeek: :mrgreen:

g0 2 V3g@$

http://www.youtube.com/zebragreen3

http://soundcloud.com/zebragreen3

http://www.facebook.com/zebragreen3

Board index » Funk Nation » In The University